The SDI Assistant Instructor Course is designed to build on the SDI Divemaster Program by gaining practical teaching experience, learning to prepare lesson plans, and give academic presentations. You will work with an instructor to gain experience teaching before moving on to the SDI Open Water Scuba Diver Instructor level. Once you complete the Specialty Instructor training with a qualified SDI Instructor Trainer, you can become qualified to teach several SDI Specialty Diver courses.
- Minimum age 18
- Certified SDI Divemaster or equivalent
- Provide proof of current CPR, first aid and oxygen provider,* where local law permits
- Provide proof of at least 60 logged dives or 50 logged dives and 25 hours underwater accumulated time
- Possess the minimum instructional equipment, as defined in leadership course standards section two of this manual
*Note: SDI CPROX, CPR1st or CPROX1stAED courses may be combined with the assistant instructor program by qualified instructors
Required skills you will have to demonstrate:
- Assist in all required courses
- Demonstrate mature and sound judgment concerning dive planning and execution
- Complete a 400 metre swim on the surface, non-stop, any stroke, without the use of swimming aids, in less than 10 minutes; swim goggles permitted
- Complete a 800 metre swim with mask, snorkel, and fins non-stop without the use of arms in less than 17 minutes
- Provide proof of 60 logged dives
- Bring a diver, simulating unconsciousness, up from depth, not greater than 6 metres/20 feet; at the surface swim them 100 metres in less than 4 minutes
What’s in it for you?
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may:
- Teach and certify students in the SDI Snorkeling Course
- Conduct the SDI Inactive Diver/Refresher Course
- Conduct the knowledge quest review in the SDI Open Water Scuba Diver course under the guidance of an active SDI Instructor
- Assist an active SDI Instructor during approved diving courses, provided the activities are similar to the graduate’s prior training
- Supervise and conduct dives for certified divers provided the activities are similar to the graduate’s prior training
- Teach approved specialties after receiving instructor training in those specialties
SDI Assistant Instructor Diver minimum requirements:
- Demonstrate all open water diver skills to instructor quality
- Complete the SDI Assistant Instructor exam, or online version, with a minimum score of 80 percent and 100 percent remediation
If you are interested in furthering your scuba skills please view this pathway document! Pathway Doc
This course can be run in accordance with any of our Open Water Scuba sessions. Classes are available monthly so contact the shop and we'll establish a date that works with you.
Are you excited to start your adventure? Please fill out all of the fields below and one of our staff will contact you within 48hrs to discuss the program and setup an orientation date.
We're happy to answer any questions you may have regarding this course. Please fill out all of the fields below and one of our staff will contact shortly with the answers you seek.