Open Water Instructor
The SDI Open Water Scuba Diver Instructor (OWSDI) course is designed to teach current Divemasters or Assistant Instructors certified with a recognized dive training organization the knowledge to effectively function as an open water scuba diver instructor. This program is divided into two sections, an instructor development course (IDC) and an instructor evaluation course (IEC).
- Minimum age 18
- Certified diver for a minimum of 6 months
- Proof of 100 logged dives completed in a number of different environments with varying depths
- Be certified as a SDI Divemaster, SDI Assistant Instructor, or equivalent
- Provide proof of current CPR, first aid and oxygen provider*, where local law permits
* Note: SDI CPROX, CPR1st or CPROX1stAED courses may be combined with the IDC program by qualified instructors
Required skills you will have to demonstrate:
- Present a minimum of:
-Two classroom presentations
-Two lessons in confined water
-Two lessons in open water
- Show preparation, planning and control in:
- Perform, to demonstration quality, one complete rescue scenario
- Perform a 10 minute survival-float, without the use of swimming aids
- Complete a 400 metre swim on the surface, non-stop, any stroke, without the use of swimming aids, in less than 10 minutes; swim goggles permitted
- Complete a 800 metre swim with mask, snorkel, and fins non-stop without the use of arms in less than 17 minutes
- Bring a diver, simulating unconsciousness, up from depth, not greater than 6 metres / 20 feet; at the surface swim them 100 metres in less than 4 minutes
- Pool/confined water:
-Candidates must perform, to demonstration quality, all skills listed in the SDI Open Water Scuba Diver Course
-Pool/confined water problem solving
- Open Water:
-In open water candidates must perform, to demonstration quality, all skills listed in the SDI Open Water Scuba Diver Course
-Open water problem solving
Required Skill Performance for IEC, the student must:
- Present a minimum of:
-One classroom presentation, minimum time 15 minutes in duration
-One full lesson in confined water
-One full lesson in open water
- The evaluating instructor trainer must verify all required subjects were covered and skills were performed
What’s in it for you?
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may teach the SDI Open Water Scuba Diver, Advanced Adventure Diver Specialty, Computer Diver, Rescue Diver, Divemaster and Assistant Instructor courses.
SDI Open Water Scuba Diver Instructor minimum requirements:
- Satisfactorily complete the SDI Instructor written exam or online equivalent
- Successfully complete the IDC and the IEC
- Demonstrate mature and sound judgment concerning class planning and execution
Aug. 29th through Sept. 2nd
9am to 5pm
Online academics must be completed prior to start date.
Are you excited to start your adventure? Please fill out all of the fields below and one of our staff will contact you within 48hrs to discuss the program and setup an orientation date.
We're happy to answer any questions you may have regarding this course. Please fill out all of the fields below and one of our staff will contact shortly with the answers you seek.